Designing Medical Simulation
for Clinical Validation
David Hon - Seattle
Results of Successful Transfer
Ive been here
I know what I am seeing.
I know how I will proceed.
I know what should happen next.
I know what is wrong here.
I can correct what is wrong.
I am doing this satisfactorily.
I know when I have finished.
Designing the Transfer Context
American Heart Association
Sigmoidoscopy Physician Requirements
1. Many different life-like patient colons.
2. Flexible endoscope w/mannequin and force feedback.
3. All software dynamics and graphics in real-time.
4. Collects quantitative data on student performance.
5. Construct student performance evaluation profiles.
Flexible Sigmoidoscopy Simulator = Requirements Met
Profile of Examination Procedure
Proof of Skills Transfer
Live Patient Study Design
Total Time of Exam
Time to 40 cm
Time in Red-out
Adequacy of Exam
Resident Responses to VR
90% felt it has substantial effect on hand-eye skills needed for the exam
88% felt it would help them master flex sigs as residents.
90% felt confident after using the simulator